Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 44 - Cazenovia to Canajoharie

First 10 miles were fantastic - cool, sunny, flat and downhill along the river to Chittenango. Deer picture is from that road.

Turn East onto Rte 5 / NY bicycle route for 80 miles - same road the whole way, E / SE winds at 15, gusting to 25. Not a lot of pictures - head down cursing the wind all day !!

Traffic quite heavy until Oneida ( they make flatware there? ), and then it thins out.

Utica is a bit of an issue for a bicyclist. The road signs had directions to at least 5 different highways, and at times I'm riding on an interchange route with 4 lanes of traffic and lots of entrance / exit ramps. Traffic light though so minimal horns blaring at me.

Utica is quite large - and empty. Seems that it has become a business / government center with little retail commerce and very few people in the city.

Lunch in Herkimer. This downtown is on the ropes. I think it has been abandoned! A few people outside the diner advise me to watch out for my bike. This is a first. Everyplace else I've been people on the street say "don't worry about it here".

As I approach St Johnsville there is a thunder storm in front of me. I push on it to get to the town to find shelter from the lightning. As it turns out, the storm is moving North; I'm heading East; and I could have saved some energy by just slowing down and letting it pass. Duh !!!

Into Canajoharie a little late. Very pretty town. Roots are in Beech-Nut ( now gone ); Richardson candy is here. All of the pictures except the deer and barn are from the town. Seems that the man who owned Beech-Nut in the mid-1900s was a large benefactor.

Downtown is clean; nicely kept buildings; lots of evidence of restoration. On the Mohawk River / Erie Tow Canal; there is a River Lock at the town, and public docks for boats traveling the Mohawk; I stop by at a Concert On The Green.

I'm glad I stopped here.

No comments:

Post a Comment