Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 24 - Bassett to Orchard

Bassett was a pleasant surprise - really enjoyed it, and thought of it as a mere warm-up for O'Neill, which I had been looking forward to throughout the planning process.

Headed out a little after 7:30, and first stop was Stuart, at 20 miles, but no diner to stop at. I did get a picture of the 4th of July painting on Main Street - made me think of the Fletcher Founders float that Keith and Brendan built for Fletcher's bicentennial. Stuart is the same size that Fletcher was back then.

On to Atkinson for a stand-up snack at mile 30, and then on to O'Neill - can't wait!!

What a bust. Really disappointed in O'Neill, and I was planning on taking a 1/2 day to soak the Irish heritage of the town. Just not a place you'd look forward to hanging out in.

Head to a restaurant, map and phone in hand, and within 20 minutes I've got a reservation in Orchard at the 4 unit Orchard Motel - $ 32.00. 26 miles added on to today - we'll see what happens. You won't find this place on the Internet.

When Hwys 20 and 175 diverge, Hwy 20 goes due East and starts rolling thru really nice corn and alfalfa fields - I'm riding really close to crops and really nice ranches. Orchard is great - small, very neat and clean, very friendly people.

Ken, the motel owner, is intimidated by computers. His kids are always trying to get him to join 'Spacebook' so they can share info and photos.

The cable operator left Orchard a few years back, so Ken got Dish, and reverse-wired it so that all the rooms get the same channel he and his wife are watching!! He says he will try and find the Tour de France tonight and put it on for me. I hope his wife is OK with that.

There is an Amish settlement here - at the restaurant they estimate 30 families in the County, arriving over the past 6 years.

I see a woman drive a horse and buggy behind the grocery store, so I go over to the buggy and wait for her to return. In Orchard I converse for the very first time with a member of the Amish culture. She's very nice, comfortable conversing with me, and I am thrilled.

No AT&T service here, and the Librarian does not know the PW for WiFi access !!

Life IS like a box of chocolates. This is a great stop, and without O'Neill's disappointment I would have just cruised thru here on Day 25.

Since I did extra miles today, I'll probably stay on course for an early arrival in Sioux City on Friday - 88,000 people - should be something to do there for an afternoon.

Yes, the wind blew from the E / SE all day today !! Gusting to 20 MPH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment