Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 30 - Peosta to Monroe, WI

I'll be honest, my anxiety about navigating Dubuque and crossing the River kept me from getting a good night's sleep. At 5:00 AM I'm watching CNN and waiting for it to get light.

Ten miles to Dubuque; join the rush-hour traffic; wind my way thru Dubuque to see a bit of the city, and then on to the bridge. I'm riding over the Mississippi River!! And now I am out of Iowa and into Wisconsin!! Iowa sure went by fast.

I'm on to Route 11 now and headed to Milwaukee.

Part 1: Dibuque and the River

Part 2: SW Wisconsin, which is very hilly and reminds me of riding in Fletcher. The rolling farmland, the steep hills, lots of Holsteins. I veer off on to County Roads in Hazel Green.

Part 3: The big corn fields are back.

Lots of hills today. It's not a good sign when you see so many hills with an extra lane added for slow-moving traffic. Had many of them today. You see the extra lane up ahead and know it will be steep and long - with a great downhill as the reward.

Two great stops.

Shullsburg - the pic of the smaller downtown with the flags on the street lamp posts - was really attractive. Lots of Wisconsin cheese for sale !!

And Monroe, my stopping point, has a fabulous downtown. Beautiful court house building; great shops and restaurants; nicely restored buildings. Really vibrant. Lots of shoppers and eaters.

It's 97 when I stop riding to get lunch; 102 when I check into the motel.

This is the first day that the heat seemed to pose a danger if I tried to keep moving.

The pic of baling is a corn field being baled for cow feed !!

Frank
frank@projmgr.com

1 comment: