Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 26 - Sioux City to Sac City

... Where to start - 'cause it turned out to be "one of those days".

Legs felt tired this morning - didn't sleep well. And met 4 guys from PA at the hotel who are riding coast-to-coast. Averaging 100 miles a day; max. 128. I feel like a wimp. They are sick of corn fields and podunk towns. Hold that thought!! It happened again.

Very hilly out of Sioux City - some steep ones. The steep climbs ended just outside Correctionville, AND I turned 2000 miles - use your imagination with the photo.

Any heart-healthy benefits accrued on this trip were wiped away with the nerve-shattering, ulcer-producing ride on Hwy 20 from Sioux City to Early. No shoulder; semis at 70; death defying! No kidding - I feared for my life.

Long rolling hills for the 44 miles from Correctionville. And the heavy traffic dropped off on the last 10 miles to Sac City.

Very hot.

Now, the thought. Spur of the moment decision to get an OJ at the store before going to my room at the motel. I never do that before putting my bike away.

Struck up a conversation with Russ Davis, local farmer - corn, soybeans, hogs - and Russ needed a little "help" out on his 950 acres in Nemaha. I gave him some advice on raising hogs, used my MF 50 experience to do some planting, and we "talked shop" for a bit. I also got to experience a monster tractor making its' way home via GPS - no steering required.

The thought - from Yakima to Union, Hermiston, Jackson, Harrison, Gordon, Orchard, and now Sac City - the world is a fascinating place with really great people who enjoy what and how they live, and want to share their lives. At 100 miles per day I think you miss those connections.

Walked 1/2 mile to downtown for dinner. Legs are wobbly. I haven't used my legs for walking any appreciable distance for almost a month.

Off to Webster City on Saturday - 2 somewhat short days ahead - need it. Riding in the afternoon sun really saps energy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have a couple easy days coming up. You look a little like a Tour ride, gaunt and worn.

    Take care of your self,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need more suncreen on your nose - Love Mother Patricia

    ReplyDelete