Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 18 - Shoshoni to Casper

Out on the road at about 6:00 this morning. Prediction is for SE and E winds all day, with increasing velocity as the day progresses.

First (only) stop is 40 miles out at Hiland. And I've been told that wind velocity is always lower in the morning.

I am only posting 2 pictures today - one looking North from Hwy 26, one looking South. No matter where I took the pictures on this 102 mile day, they all would have looked the same.

When I arrive at Hiland I check an elevation chart and realize that the entire 40 miles have been uphill, culminating 6 miles after Hiland. Gain is only 1400', but with the wind and the starkness, it is really mentally challenging.

I also find that there is a prediction for serious thunderstorm activity and 40 MPH gusts in Casper in mid-afternoon.

I grab some drinks and snacks and skip the rest break. At mile 70 I stop on the road side for 15 minutes to rest and grab a bite, and then move on, arriving in Casper at about 2:30.

Amazing how the threat of wind and lightning can keep the adrenalin pumping.

Serious thunder clouds and some lightning as I check into the motel, but the big storm never materializes.

Had planned a rest day in Casper since I've covered Teton Pass, Togwotee Pass, and two 100 mile windy days in the last 4 days of riding. Not sure what I would do here all day tomorrow, and next stop is only 50 miles away - so I'll sleep in, get bike checked out, and leave for Douglas, WY at about 9:30.

Wind has really been an issue. Still blowing out of the N and NE tomorrow - but hoping I can get to Nebraska on Saturday and pick up a West wind.

I've now completed "Stage 2" on my itinerary, and at 1400 miles of distance am more than 1/3 across the country.

Ride smart !!



1 comment:

  1. Have you seen any wildlife? The plains after the Rockies are prime for Antelope...

    ReplyDelete