Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 23 - Valentine to Bassett

Glad it was a shorter day - 62 miles.

Wind still blowing from the SE. In a perverse sort of way I'm kind of hoping that it keeps blowing out of the East for the next three days so I can tell other cyclists about the myth of Westerly prevailing winds, and a ride thru Wyoming and Nebraska with all Easterly winds.

First stop is Wood Lake - a small retirement community 20 miles from Valentine. When I go into the diner I ask the owner if I am hallucinating, or did I really ride continuously uphill from Valentine - indeed, I did. Not steep; very gradual. Uphill, though - not what I expected.

However, after I leave the diner it becomes virtually flat for the rest of the day. I think I am out of the Sandhills terrain now.

Next stop Ainsworth. Ainsworth bills itself as the "Middle of Nowhere", and actually has events throughout the year along that theme. Evidently none of the residents have been to Shoshoni, WY.

Nice town; downtown hanging on.

Ten miles outside of Bassett I hit an active re-paving project. Two choices - ride on the brand new pavement and kick up the tar balls, or ride on the oiled half of road. No good choice. I do a once over at the end of the road section to take off heavy layer, then head to the store for Simple Green and a full bike washing in Bassett. Relaxing project - feels good to have a clean and fully oiled bike.

Bassett is nice; staying at a Lodge in town; there's a diner, grocery, pizza shop, saloon, hardware store, etc. People are friendly and I am sitting on Main Street updating the blog and just "being friendly" to the passersby.

Since I arrived the town fire alarm has gone off twice - the town-wide alarm blast from the firehouse. Haven't heard one of them in a long time- really loud. And a thunderstorm is rolling in.

Can't take all this excitement !!

On to O'Neill tomorrow - the Irish City with a shamrock painted on Main Street.

Cyclometer went over 1800 miles today - and according to the mileage plan that is exactly 1/2 the miles - but not yet half the days. I wonder how many pedal strokes that is?

No comments:

Post a Comment