Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 15 - Heise Hot Springs to Jackson

1. Start week 3
2. Exit Idaho, Enter Wyoming
3. Climb over Teton Pass
4. First accident

It's about a 30 mile ride from Heise to Swan Valley where I will turn on to Hwy 31 for two big climbs.

The ride along Hwy 26 / Swan Valley Highway is magnificent. Just what your minds eye would capture if you were describing vast ranches in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Sparse, rolling, green, looking at the mountains. Unfortunately there was a 15 - 20 MPH headwind, and an elevation gain of 1300 feet to the high point on Hwy 26. Was worth every pedal stroke. And, a 2 mile 6% drop into Swan Valley along the Snake River. Lots of fly fisherman.

Short break in Swan Valley and head up toward Pine Creek Summit. A 20 mile pedal to Victor, ID that will climb about 1400 feet in 10 miles with a long stretch at 7% grade. Nice view of the Tetons from the top, Wind is now at my back, and it is hot.

Milk shake at the Victor Emporium and meet folks from Enumclaw, WA who grew up in the Victor / Driggs area. Back to visit with their kids and their families.

And now the challenge - head up to Teton Pass. 2200 feet of climb, and the last 3 miles is at 10%.

About 2/3 up I meet up with Delicia - the first thru-rider I've met in 15 days. She is riding from Portland to Portland in honor of her brother, and meeting with groups along the way to discuss suicide prevention.

The top ! What a climb - spectacular view of Jackson Hole in the distance, and the Teton Range.

Based on suggestions from locals at the top I head down the old road - now a biking / hiking trail. Rough, gravelly. I puncture the tube on my front tire, lose control, and crash. At 2:30 PM on a hot day after lots of climbing it's not what I was hoping for. Seems like minimal damage so I limp into Jackson, get checked out at a bike shop ( where two former Vermonters work ) and a few things re-aligned and head to Molly Breslin's (Warmshowers) house.

I get the opportunity to have dinner with 3 couples who live in Jackson - home- cooked meal; great Jackson stories; really nice folks. Is Warmshowers a great way to meet really great people - you bet !!

Day off on Monday - I need it, especially after the crash. I'm sure I will have achy thighs in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your rest day. You deserve it!
    How did you flat? I thought you had steel tires? Did you ever check on kevlar tubes?
    Since Monday is a rest day, catch Stage 3 of the Tour. Cancellara has the Yellow. He won the Prologue and was second in Stage 2.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete