Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 17 - Dubois to Shoshoni

Another day in 3 parts - similar to my Yakima - Kennewick ride.

1. Dubois to Crowheart:
Mostly down at first and then flat. Stopped at the Crowheart General Store and P.O. for a break and thinking that this won't be as bad as I thought. Got a little history lesson on where the Wind River tribal boundaries lie.

2. Crowheart to the Missouri Valley Road:
The wind turns to the SE, where I am headed, and I run into rolling hills. Hills- no problem; wind - a killer. Drops my speed significantly and really works the legs. Hot !!

Stop at a local bar / cafe on Missouri Valley Road for 30 minutes - it is a good thing it is there. Coke and candy - I need sugar and caffeine.

3. Missouri Valley to Shoshoni:
Feeling a bit recovered; wind seems to have lessened, and the road is pretty flat. 3 ups to get into Shoshoni.

This day has been as desolate as any I've ridden, and tomorrow to Casper may top it.

98 miles that would not have been too bad without the wind in my face. Very hot and no shade in sight.

Really anxious about tomorrow. Desolate, winds out of the SE (where I am going) all day, increasing to 15 - 20 MPH in afternoon. Thunderstorms in afternoon. 2 stops available - at 40 and 50 miles out.

Leave a little earlier; embrace the wind; acknowledge a late arrival ! I may take that rest day in Casper after all.

I miss the mountains !!

No comments:

Post a Comment