Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 41 - Fredonia to Geneseo

End of week 7.

Planned to start early today - 90 + miles and anticipating hills.

Opened the curtains to see black clouds, and to hear weather warnings on the TV. They are asking all boaters to get off the lake due to anticipated waves. As soon as the storm passes I put on my rain jacket and follow it. I assumed I would not catch the storm, but would be fast enough to miss the next one.

It rained for 35 miles. I turned off Hwy 20 to Hwy 20A - riding due East now toward New England. After seeking advice from a number of people, I chose this route - not sure how hilly. And all the feedback I got was lacking consistency.

Thru Orchard Park and eat / rest break in East Aurora at 11:00. Both towns are really pretty with vibrant down towns; street fair in Aurora.

The next 30 miles were the hardest continuous 30 miles of the trip. Up 1 1/2 miles; down 1 1/2 miles - continuous and very steep. Culminates in Warsaw where trucks and buses are not allowed to enter the town thru the hills due to all the accidents. 3 miles at 10% grade to get out of town.

I was hoping that Orchard Park to NH would be all downhill !!!

As I topped out of Warsaw, there was a beautiful rolling ride to Geneseo.

Thunder, lightning, rain, hills - no appetite for stopping to take pictures. There are a few looking toward Geneseo after leaving Warsaw, and one of the Round Tree Inn where I rewarded myself with a glass of wine and a meal as soon as I hit town.

Geneseo is nice; small, quiet because school is out of session; SUNY campus is really pretty.

Some locals have suggested getting back on Hwy 20 for the next few days. They seem to know what they are talking about !

No comments:

Post a Comment