Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 16 - Jackson to Dubois

I've got to admit that this day was extremely anxiety producing during the planning stages.

Blogs I read, as well as the distance and elevation factors, had me cringing. People had described it as a "killer", etc.

The day started with 34 miles uphill from Jackson to Moran. Steady 2 - 3 % grade with the Tetons on my left.

Perhaps one of the nicest rides I have ever experienced. The grade was not burdensome and the views of the Tetons remarkable. If I lived in Jackson this would be a regular ride.

Then 36 miles to the Continental Divide - the picture of me and my bike. Steady uphill but the grade was not anywhere as steep as Teton Pass. Sunny, hot, and at the top I'd been riding uphill for 5+ hours.

Unfortunately, the Continental Divide sign has been removed due to the road work - need to take my word for it.

Twenty miles down to Dubois - pretty steady.

I AM OVER THE ROCKIES !!!

John and Julia (Geier) are pictured. How cool is it that you could be flagged down on a ride over Togwotee Pass by the daughter of a friend in Burlington whose wedding you attended in April in Starksboro, VT.

I like Dubois. People have been very friendly. Seems it is an alternative access route to Yellowstone for those not wanting to deal with Jackson's summer crowds.

Cowboy Cafe was great !

Two long days looming. 90+ each day thru what the locals describe as 'nothingness'. Very few places to stop for rest and replenishment. Need to really remember to hydrate. Gets me to Casper, and then on to Nebraska.

The picture with the river in it is the Wind River flowing thru Dubois. And it ain't called the Wind River for no reason !!

No comments:

Post a Comment