Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 19 - Casper to Douglas

"Rest Day" - not sure what I'd do for a day in Casper without a car so took a soft day instead of a rest day.

Up at 7:30; breakfast at a real restaurant at 8:15; check-up at bike shop at 9:00; hit the road at 9:30.

I'm expecting the terrain and scenery to be just as it has been the last two days - stark.

But the first 25 miles - to Glenrock - is a really pleasant ride. Lots of trees along the North Platte river to the North; ranches all along the way. In Glenrock at 11:00, so take a break and sit outside the P.O. for 20 minutes.

5 miles out of Glenrock Hwy 26 ends as a side road and merges as I-25; US 87; Hwys 20 and 26. An Interstate.

Elevation numbers continue to drop, but the terrain continues to roll up and down; from where I enter the Interstate it is 8 miles of continuous up; not steep, and very little gear changing. But 8 miles IS 8 miles.

I think the 28 miles from Glenrock to Douglas is evenly split - 14 up; 14 down.

Downtown Douglas pretty desolate; lots of activity at the Interstate. LOTS of truckers to support the fast expanding gas industry; and Gillette is only 2 hours north. The Motel 6 is truckers haven; I eat at the truck stop next to the motel.

59 pretty easy miles; good rest day.

Douglas has a nice train museum (see the iffy pictures); and I finally see some "wildlife".

If all goes well I will be in Nebraska tomorrow. Have reservation at Harrison House Hotel for Saturday night - and am the only person staying there.

No comments:

Post a Comment