Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 43 - Seneca Falls to Cazenovia

The end justified the means !!

On the road at 7:00, and the first half - to Auburn - is rush-hour level traffic on Route 20. Lots of trucks. Traffic thins out in Auburn as Rtes 5 ( to Syracuse ) and 20 split. Route 20 is undulating, nothing very severe, and as I enter Skaneateles village I'm thinking I will be done very early today - nothing today like Saturday's killer hills.

I should have stayed in Skaneateles !

The next 31 miles are very much like Saturday's trek to Geneseo - probably 3 or 4 10% climbs and many of lesser grade; all over a mile long. The pic I included is a hill that is 1.5 miles long with no breaks.

The folks in Cazenovia say that today's ride is tougher than Saturday's - I'm not as tired though.

Skaneateles and Cazenovia are both great towns on the edge of beautiful lakes. Great donut shop in Skaneateles.

And I am relaxing at a fabulous inn on Cazenovia Lake - the Brewster Inn. Patty and Dick Hubbards son is completing a Southern route trip just a few days before I am scheduled to finish. And they know how to take care of a cyclist !!

Check out the picture of the Inn. A glass of wine and crossword puzzle on the lawn; great dinner; jacuzzi. I've clearly celebrated my birthday a day early. I could get used to this !!

In Cazenovia this afternoon a woman stops to chat; she has 10 kids; all home-schooled !! The upside is that they graduate from HS early, and thus go off to college early !

Heading North to Route 5 tomorrow. Terrain should be a lot less hilly since it
parallels I-90 and not far from the Erie Canal towpath. Four 80+ mile days in front of me.

Frank
frank@projmgr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment