Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 36 - Brooklyn to Perrysburg, OH

In Ohio.

Post for Monday, 7/23.

Ride today was again a 3 part melody.

Part 1:
Sprinkling as I leave Brooklyn. Pass the Michigan International Speedway, head on to Olnsted Road to hit the back roads. Starts to rain harder and I stop in Olnsted to don my rain jacket - for the first time since June 18 !!!

On to the secondary road to
Adrian, heavy rain, so I slow down the pace and just cruise. Not as bad as I thought if would be. Rain stops as I enter Adrian with 30 miles down. The thunderstorm did not materialize. I deserve a coffee and muffin !

Part 2:
The Killer. I head due South on a beautiful road out of Adrian: some very attractive small villages; wide open corn and soybean fields; beautiful homesteads, AND; a 25 MPH wind out of the due South. No surprise; it was predicted. Really makes the riding tedious. Lots of semis in the last 4 miles - tandems carrying crops.

Part 3:
County Road J for 14 miles. Gorgeous farms; great pavement; very little traffic; straight and flat with the wind on my right shoulder. This road is a 'keeper'.

I cross the Interstate / sprawl territory, cross a river and enter Perrysburg. Really nice town - again. Many diverse shops and businesses; some good restaurants. If's in the mid-90's and I take a looooong lunch. As I sit out in the courtyard of the restaurant the table umbrellas are lifting themselves into the air.

After a few hours of research on traversing PA and NY at the library I head to Susan Richards house - 5th Warmshowers host - and have yet another opportunity to connect with a fellow-bicyclist in a great neighborhood in Perrysburg. Have I mentioned yet how great Warmshowers is ??

Pics: yes, corn and soybeans in Ohio !!

No comments:

Post a Comment