Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 20 - Douglas to Harrison, NE

1. Passed 1500 miles in the saddle in Manville, WY
2. Out of WY; into NE
3. Finished 3 weeks of riding

First 10 miles were rolling, with little wind. Really nice.

Turned on to Route 20 heading to Lusk and the SE wind hit me. Whatever happened to the concept of the Westerly prevailing wind? Since last Sunday I have had one riding day of SW wind (the short day), and 5 days of NE, E, and SE winds. Very tiring mentally and physically. Tomorrow - SE again and 96 miles planned !

On the bright side, the terrain has become grassy with lots of beef herds. There is a picture looking down Route 20, which I assume will be quite typical for the next 6 days. It will be remote, but there will be a town every 25 miles or so. And I am thinking they will be attractive towns.

Very long coal trains - perhaps 100 cars each, and I saw 5 of them today.

Lusk, WY - my last stop in WY - was great. Attractive, clean, and felt a great sense of community just hanging around on Main Street. Very unlike the towns I have been stopping at in WY- it had a Nebraska feel.

On to Harrison, NE. Highest elevation in NE at 4900 feet. Staying at the Harrison House Hotel, built in 1898.It was built by the current owners great grandmother - unbeknownst to her when she bought it.

Hotel owner gave me a personal tour of the 5 Harrison museum buildings, and then I hit the saloon for a late lunch.

Lusk and Harrison are both stops to remember - very enjoyable - if I had on a cowboy hat and boots I'd fit right in.

I'll be heading back to the saloon for dinner around 8:00 - am told there will be lots of local color!!

Plugging on to Gordon tomorrow. Bad news - more wind; good news - Gordon is almost 1500' lower in elevation. Two more long mileage days and then it backs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment