Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 28 - Webster City to Waterloo

Wow - today started week 5.

Paul, the Webster City hotel manager, and I map out a "county-roads" route to Waterloo. I leave at 6:00 to beat the heat and have one of the most enjoyable rides of the trip - from Webster City to Steamship Rock. Yes, lots more corn and soybeans, but also it's cool, with clean and tidy homesteads, and crop storage sheds. I'm amazed at how clean and uncluttered the farms and homesteads are. Really nice ride!

By 10:00 when I finish my break at Steamboat Rock it is hot, and I can feel the direct sun as I ride thru the open farm land.

I pass thru Holland and head for Hudson, which is a good sized town. Alas, not a restaurant open in town (Sunday !). I hang out at a quick stop for a 1/2 hour and make the final 10 miles to Waterloo.

Entering Waterloo I pass an upscale neighborhood - the first significant urban neighborhood I've seen in a long time. Many beautiful brick homes.

Waterloo, though closed up on a Sunday afternoon, seems to be a nice city. Lots of arts and recreational facilities, nice downtown, convention center, on the Cedar River. There's a bike trail up to Cedar Falls.

You'll see the Road Closed sign below. Taking the detour is 5 miles of soft gravel. I stop 3 people on the road to try and get the real scoop. I get three answers. The last one is from a guy who says he rode his four-wheeler over the closed bridge last week. Whew - I head up the closed road. How do you know when to stop asking ???

County roads mapped out to Dyersville for Monday. Shorter, 90 today- 65 tomorrow - but will leave early. Still getting hotter out here.

Pics- note helicopter spraying crops; canopy covers the bike trail over the Cedar River.

Frank
frank@projmgr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment