Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 14 - Pocatello to Heise Hot Springs

"All's well that ends well". Where the day ended is beautiful.

At 6:I30 this morning as I was strapping on my packs I noticed a lot of wiggling. The frame hanger for my pack rack is broken !! Using toe straps, ties, and tape I cobble it together. Now what?

No bike shop in Pocatello; 5 in Idaho Falls - 50 miles up the road. I'm off and call the bike shop in BTV that installed it at 8:15 MST to see if they can find a shop that sells Trek products, make an appt., whatever. Just looking for a helping hand.

Though they did make an appointment in Iowa Fallls (??) for me I can't say their enthusiasm to help out was overwhelming.

I found a great store in Idaho Falls - Idaho Mountain Trading - got the rack fixed, the bike checked out, and energy bars at 50% of retail. Really great people. And Idaho Falls was really nice - a nice downtown.

My mind wasn't completely on the rack for the whole 50 miles. Not a 1/4 mile onto the Shoshone reservation the first of 5 dogs came charging out of house yards to get me. I was on high alert, so no damage done.

As I leave Idaho Falls for Ririe and the Heise Hot Springs I can see THEM. Beautiful mountains - layers of them that make up the Rockies. I'm guessing that the ridge on the far right in the photos is Teton Pass - I'll be riding 25 miles South on Hwy 26 / Swan Valley before I turn left and up !

Strike 3 - I'm really excited about stopping the bike to get a picture of 1,000 on my cyclometer. At 999.80 I slow to a crawl - 999.99, and then 0 !!

Cannot express the disappointment that my cyclometer only goes to three significant digits. Really neat - 0.0, huh ??

But, here I am on the deck of the Heise Pizza House; glass of wine in hand; in the mountains.

I've got a cabin at Heise Hot Springs - as close as I could get to the Teton turn-off! Sleeps 6. Nice RV, golf, camping, etc resort.

I've done the Cascades, the Blue Mountains, and logged 1,000 miles. Teton Pass here I come ! What, me worry?

No comments:

Post a Comment