Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rest Day - Jackson & Connections

A remarkable down day in Jackson.

I ride up the last 3 miles to Teton Pass with Delicia, who is riding cross-country to raise suicide awareness in honor of her brother. We share contact info and say good-bye.

I get to Molly's, and 45 minutes later I am biking across town to have dinner with three couples, including Jim, who invites me to stay at his place in Lander, WY.

I have lunch the next day with Delicia and she tells me about all the serendipitous ways she has made suicide-related connections along the way, and the cook-out that is being planned for that night. And, serendipitously, the lady at the next table interrupts us, tearfully, to tell us that her boyfriend committed suicide a few months earlier. She signs on to the cause.

I leave Delicia, and within minutes get a text from Molly asking if I want to go to a cook-out that night in Delicia's honor. Molly is connected to the health care system in Jackson.

The next day, while riding up to Togwotee Pass, John and Julia (Geier) stop me on the highway to say "Hi" as they are driving back to Jackson from Laramie.

John knows Jim well, and John and Julia had eaten at Jim's restaurant in Lander the previous night.

Delicia, Molly, Jim, John and Julia - all inter-related connections made in 24 hours in Jackson. And a perfect stranger that wants to share her personal story with two other perfect strangers.

7 degrees of separation? It must be down to 3 or 4 degrees these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment