Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 45 - Canajoharie, NY to Bennington, VT

On the road a little after 6:30. Straight shot down Rte 5, thru Amsterdam and into Scotia for the first 35.

From Scotia all prescribed routes seemed to weave thru Schemectady and Cohoes highway interchanges, so I mapped out a local roads route.

North on 50; local roads and county highways thru Ballston, Glenville, Jonesville, Clifton Park, and Waterford.

Some tough climbs over Plank Road outside of Waterford, which I assume is the bottom of the Adirondacks, and on to NY Route 7 East heading to Vermont.

In Vermont !!!

Bennington is a really nice town. I haven't been here in years, and it appears to have really kept the downtown area vibrant - lots of arts activities in and around town; good restaurants and coffee shops, restored historical sites. I'm impressed.

Today only deserves 1 picture - the VT welcome sign - so nice to see!

One of my goals, obviously, is to experience the downtowns in the cities I visit. I seek out the best coffee shops, cafes, and ice cream shoppes. And have sat at many old-fashioned lunch counters. In the last week or so I have also passed at least 50 Dunkin Donuts shops, yearning for a sugar jelly donut - yet cruise on by in pursuit of downtown Americana. I think I can hold out for 2 more days !!

Frank
frank@projmgr.com

2 comments: