Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 46 - Bennington, VT to Peterborough, NH

Tough yet beautiful ride today.

I'd been anxious about Vt Rte 9 based on all the news reports I'd heard over the years. Didn't feel it was dangerous though. Lots of good shoulder and, as usual, the truckers were very accommodating.

About 8 miles to 'first' top - Woodford - maybe 3 or 4 at 8% grade. Really pretty ride - Mill Pond, Big Pond, Adams Reservoir, Harriman Reservoir. Woodford is the highest elevation town in Vermont at 2200+ feet. I'm guessing lots of snow up on the top rolling section of Rte 9. On the lookout for Moose !! At Harriman Reservoir there is a 100 mile view lookout.

Down into Wilmington, and anxious to see how it looks - not as bad as I expected. I know Irene restoration is still in progress, but the only obvious hint to me riding thru is the musty smell I detect riding past some buildings.

I thought if would be generally downhill from Wilmington to Brattleboro. Not !!

Wilmington is in a valley and I do some good hills to get up to Marlboro, from which there is about an 8 mile drop into West Brattleboro. If I hadn't 'matured' into a cautious downhill rider this would have been a real rush.

I'd like to get back to this area for some hiking and camping.

Dogs! Last mention was at about mile 975, north of Pocatello, ID. And today. As I am topping out at Woodford two dogs come racing out, snarling and barking. The owner watches from the house window and does nothing. I call her a bad name as I start back pedaling on an uphill section. Why did this happen in my home state??? Not bad, though - mile 975 and mile 3500. Can't complain.

Rest in Brattleboro at a bakery, and then 18 miles to Keene - some good, steep hills.

As I cross into NH, on the lookout for the welcome sign, I first see a NH Liquor Store sign, and then later a Welcome to NH sign - need to set your priorities.

Keene downtown was really nice - lots of really great old homes: Keene State; vibrant shopping area. Great place to stop for lunch.

On to Peterborough - 20 miles - lots of up and down, but hills are longer rather than steeper.

Peterborough downtown is really great; and I finally get a mocha milkshake!!

Peterborough takes historical preservation very seriously, and has some really eclectic shops in a very attractive downtown.

Rob and Paula, at the Little River B&B, are great - and we finally figure out a route to Rye by navigating thru the Bedford / Manchester / Rte 93 tangle. And I get a printout of the prescribed route.

Tomorrow starts with a 4 mile uphill - not what I was hoping for - but not many options !!

As yesterday, only 1 significant picture.

Frank
frank@projmgr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment