Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 8 - Baker City to Payette, ID

Pretty rural place - I'm sitting outside Joe's Club trying to pick up some Internet service. Motel - no; restaurant - no; elementary school - no. This may not Post tonight.

Out of Baker City early; 11 very gradual miles uphill out of the valley, and the I-84 / Hwy 30 to Durkee - almost deserted, but ranches in the surrounding valley.

Gary Bloomer stops his pick-up as I'm taking a picture - and we talk for 30 minutes. He owns 6,000 acres. Pastures one cow per 50 acres !! Gary gives me his cell number and says to call him if I have any problems - anywhere from here to Boise.

Next stop Huntington - just a tad bit more lively. Nice conversation with store owner.

Beautiful riding thru high desert. One valley barren and covered with sagebrush; turn the corner and see a verdant, lush green irrigated valley. Took some videos - really desolate and spectacular.

Change route - into Payette, ID instead of Ontario, OR. Gets me off the I-84 / Hwy 30 path onto rural 201 to Idaho.

Big difference between yesterday and today; back into enjoyment of riding.

Today:
- Sayonara I-84
- Out of Oregon; into Idaho
- Into second week of riding
- Over 500 mile barrier
- Out of PST; into MST

Back roads from Payette to Boise Monday. Rest day Tuesday And then head to Grand Tetons !!

One motel in Payette; not quite sure it's worth the 39 bucks !

1 comment: