Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 7 - Union to Baker City

Slept in this morning. 7 days on the saddle, and I am feeling a little tired after the climb over Blue Mountain.

I leave Mark and Judy Wing's about 8:15. Climb out of La Grande valley to Powder River and jump on Hwy 30 ( Old Oregon Trail) heading to Baker City.

Tired legs; weather prediction for 15 MPH headwinds out of South, and thunderstorms starting at 10:00. Perfect storm for a no-energy day.

As soon as I leave the bountiful La Grande valley (15,000 acres of mint !!)I ride for 10 miles thru nothing but sage brush and hills with windmills. How can the landscape change so quickly?

Hit the headwinds as I turn on to Hwy 30. Ugh. Have trouble finding my rhythm. No way I could have made it halfway to Ontario, OR.

After talking with Dave, a local, at the ice cream shop at noon, I run into he and Curt at the dinner restaurant. Great discussion; Dave surprises me by paying for my dinner; I'm feeling better about getting into a groove and slowly stroking thru the 15 MPH headwinds on Sunday.

Also met three riders from Ride America. There is 54 of them - Astoria to Portsmouth, NH. Scheduled to arrive the day before me. We share some destinations along the way.

They, however, seem to be flying. Sag wagon; mechanic; nothing on their bikes but a water bottle. I won't be riding with them.

I think I prefer the route-alteration; local connection; Warmshowers option rather than pinning a set of defined route descriptions on my handlebars.

If I was on that tour I would have missed Elaine, the Wings, Curt and Dave, and Linda and her family in Hermiston - all priceless.

Pics:
- 45th parallel, some 100 miles south of Washington state border ???
- Haines downtown - and not one car in sight - on Saturday morning
- Parade in Baker City - a traveling circus troupe
- Sagebrush for miles !!!

Off to Payette, ID on Sunday morning. 90 miles with one campground as the only rest stop, at 40 miles. Focus and easy rhythm necessary !!

No comments:

Post a Comment