Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 6 - Pendleton to Union

Life really is like a box of chocolates !!

Out of Pendleton about 6:15 in dreaded fear that the Blue Mountains would devour me. Left early because I was fearful that I would arrive in La Grande after the streets were rolled up.

At the very last second I decide to ride the I-84 / I-30 route. It's the steepest climb but a few miles shorter than the back roads. Truck traffic not really an issue since they were geared down with flashers blinking and engines straining.

To cut to the chase here, I was sitting at the counter in the ice cream shop having my ritualistic milk shake at 12:45, having rolled into La Grande at 12:30. And no tremor or cramps in the legs !!

The climb was really tough, but got off highway at Emigrant Springs and rode old I-30 to Meacham for breakfast. Try to find that on your map. Very cool experience in this really remote town atop the Blue Mountains. Great conversation with the owners and patrons.

What to do in La Grande at 1:00?? I called a Warmshowers host who is 15 miles down the road, and then headed her way.

What a great decision. Judy and Mark, retired, raising some beef and sheep; 4 kids, one of whom did her Residency at FAHC; had been to North Hero when visiting their daughter in BTV.

Visited on the patio with Judy, Mark and their son and his family; did my laundry; borrowed their car to go into town for provisions and dinner. And now retired to my "bunk house".

Quandary - 3 days planned to Boise; could do it in 2 ( cutting a day ???), but no place to stay in between; may have to sleep in on Saturday and do just 30 miles to Baker City and stay on schedule.

Pics:
- Dead Man Pass in Blue Mountains
- Diner in Meacham
- Out of desert to pine forest
- Settling in at Union, OR

No comments:

Post a Comment