Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 5 - Kennewick to Pendleton

Milestone: out of Washington; into Oregon.

Day started with a 6.7 mile uphill with the most glorious views. I hope I remember them forever. Climbed out of the tri-cities valley, and then did a 11.7 mile drop to the Columbia River.

Rolling hills and wheat fields as far as the eye can see. And houses being built on the highest peaks. Except for 3 miles on road-repair gravel it was a really smooth paved road. Breathtaking.

At the Umatilla River campground, where I stopped to confirm directions, the office manager said that 2 campers from Vermont had checked out this morning.

Over the Columbia on Route 395. Big trucks; 70 MPH; 18 inch bike lane. I made it.

At a restaurant in Hermiston, OR, was very warmly received by the owner couple, and the wife's mother and daughter. They spent a lot of time researching routes over the Blue Mountains for me, and shared their phone numbers and e-mail addresses to keep in touch. Great people.

Based on their suggestion I did the Reith Road to Pendelton. 24 miles of total remoteness; passed perhaps 6 vehicles. Great rock outcroppings; rolling wheat fields as far as I can see; along the Umatilla River. My phone camera was not working - missed some great shots. Very hot - sapping my energy.

Pendleton is a "real" cowboy town. Lots of cowboy boots; saddle and western- wear shops; saloons; great restaurants downtown.

Very anxious about tomorrow. Pendleton to La Grande; locals say it is tougher than crossing the Rockies. In some places it is 10 miles at a 7+ % grade.

Gear down and bring on the tortoise !!

What a day of variety - ups and downs, very high desert; river valley; cross Columbia (while praying!). Whew !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment