Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 12 - Twin Falls to Burley

After I posted in TF it struck me that their "Church Street" is similar to Burlington's in many ways. Two differences:
1. Not as vibrant as ours commercially
2. Nicer layout with many trees, sitting areas, and meandering curbing. BTV could improve ours by adopting some of their layout ideas.

Deja Vu -
Can't believe that I forget to post about being attacked by a really big bird. It was during my 'down day' to Baker City.

I had noticed that as I rode by clumps of trees close along the road that birds would noisily fly out of the trees. In retrospect I am guessing that they had babies to protect.

After riding by one clump of trees a really big bird came full force from behind and struck me on the head. I had to do a quick correction to avoid crashing. Saw it fly away - maybe a crow or raven.

Thought of it today when a hawk took off from an electric pole and flew along side me making a loud, piercing sound. I started waving an arm frantically to keep him away. Who'd have thought !!

A number of wind mill farms along today's route, which was full of acre after acre of hay, alfalfa, corn, and now some vegetables.

Route 30 - Old Oregon Trail - the entire way.

See the picture of the burning hay - that was a surprise.

Burley hosts the Spudman Triathlon, and I saw a McCain's factory - but I don't recall seeing any potato fields.

Burley also has a Mormon temple, and many influential members of the "Second Quorum of the Seventy". Close to Utah here. The hotel clerk has been to Sharon, VT. Relatives? Skiing? Nope - visiting Joseph Smith's birthplace.

All the hotels are out on the strip by the highway - so no good hanging out downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment